Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Psycho

I really liked the movie Psycho. Although I am not a fan of horror movies, I do have to admit that this one wasn’t that bad. The suspense of the movie was terrific. The way that the music played at certain points of the movie really created that effect of something bad about to happen. Throughout the entire movie I felt like I was anticipating something bad going to happen but with the suspense of the characters, I didn’t know exactly when it was going to happen. Before the movie developed, I thought that Sam was going to be the psycho and end up doing something to Marion. While the story unfolded I suspected the police officer to be the psycho. It wasn’t until when she pulled into the Bates Motel did I realize that this is the place where it was all going to happen. The way that it had a dark shadow casted over the entire place made it seem eerie like something bad was going to happen. When Marion met Norman for the same time he seemed like a normal average human being; but when you started to hear him talk more and more you knew that something fishy was up with him. During their conversation in the parlor was when you got the full picture of what was going to happen. You could see how the birds and the pictures foreshadowed the future events and how they were symbolic to what was yet to come. The birds being birds of prey resembles the personality of Norman’s mother. The song birds in the parlor resembled the innocence of Marion but also of Norman. The twist at the end of the story was also very good and somewhat unexpected. I knew at the shower scene that Norman wasn’t the killer. The way that his shadow was portrayed through the shower curtains didn’t have the same body type as him. This was because in the end we found out that he was wearing woman’s clothing to resemble his mother. Although Norman and “his mother” are the same people, it was “his mothers” side of his personality that actually did the murdering. Aside from the good aspects of the movie I do have to say that the scenes where both private detective and Marion was killed were completely fake. The knife that Norman used was no where near the body that ended up bleeding from being “stabbed”. Also when the detective fell down the stairs it looked as if he was just simply walking backwards down the stairs after being stabbed. Those were the only two scenes that stuck out in my mind as being unrealistic. The rest of the movie was a really great movie and Alfred Hitchcock did a great job at directing and producing the movie.

1 comment:

  1. i agree. I think the music adds the whole scary effect to the movie. When the music begins you know something bad is going to happen but you still jump anyway.this was a pretty good movie

    ReplyDelete