Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Casablanca Movie Review

After watching the movie King Kong I found this movie relieving and actually enjoyed it. Even though it was in black and white it was a pretty good movie overall. Some parts of this movie were confusing and I didn’t understand what was going on but some of my questions were answered towards the end of the movie. My first question had to do with why wouldn’t Ilsa tell Rick anything about her past. The scene where she said,”I thought that we weren’t going to ask questions.”, really stuck out in my mind. I liked the way that that line foreshadowed what was going to happen later on in the movie and how her past was going to be revealed. I also find it a coincidence how Isla wouldn’t go with Rick to the train station when they were in Paris to be with him for the rest of their lives but she came back to find him in Casablanca. I still don’t quite understand why she never just divorced her husband in the first place and stayed with Rick. I also find it interesting that in the end of the movie Rick sent Isla and her husband to America while she thought that she was going to stay with him forever. I didn’t see that coming when he did that. I thought that he was going to have her stay with him in Casablanca and eventually go to America and start their lives together like he wanted to do in the first place. I also liked the way the history was added into it. However, without gaining some background knowledge about the Visas or the history of what major events were going on an average person might have not picked up on exactly what was going on. Although I did have some background knowledge I didn’t quite pick up on every little event that was happening that involved History because I am not that good at that subject. The characters in this movie were well played and very developed compared to the original King Kong movie. At one point in the movie it felt like a character was acting “fake” compared to what someone would actually act like in that same situation. The black and white movie made it seem like I was watching an older Western movie even though it didn’t take place on horseback or in the Western part of the U.S. the clothes that the people were wearing were similar to those of the ones that the characters from those shows wore. I really enjoyed this movie but it might have been a little more enjoyable if I had a better background knowledge in History.

4 comments:

  1. I was also really confused at parts. They didn't really make the movie very clear. I was wondering why Rick sent Ilsa and her husband to America too, when it was clear that he loved her still. And, yeah it would have definitley helped if I had a better history background in general.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, more background info would have helped me understand better I think. And about Rick letting Ilsa go, I'm pretty sure that in that time period people didn't just divorce the way they do today.It was a big deal and not many people did it. I don't think that possibility ever went through their minds at all. And yeah, the acting in a couple of spots were definitly fake, but at least they got their emotions across at all, right? Unlike all the trouble we saw with that in the original King Kong. In this movie, we knew how everyone felt about everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you that Ilsa could have easily solved her problems by divorcing Victor and going with John. Although it seems obvious for us, I think that in that time period divorce was much less heard of and more looked down upon. I do not think it was acceptable for a woman back then to leave her husband for another man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i enjoyed the suspense too. you never knew what was going to happen until right before, when you hear that horrific music, it definitely keeps you on edge.

    ReplyDelete