
After gaining some understanding about what character was what, the pieces of the story started falling together. At first it was hard to determine who was who because they introduced a lot of men on screen at once. After a little while of hearing Luke’s name and seeing him doing something outrageous like eating all those eggs, I realized that he was the main character who was supposed to resemble God.
The movie was quite interesting and entertaining and everyone looked up to him. The scene where Luke was digging the hole and the guards kept beating him until he finally gave in and when he went inside the cabin and returned back with everyone else no one even dared to look at him because they were disappointed in him and no longer believed in him. That particular scene showed how much everyone actually looked up to him as being a “God-like” figure. He showed his perseverance and dignity in trying to escape the prison camp each and every time. When someone said to him that he couldn’t do it a second time he showed them by escaping once again. Each time he escaped you felt a sense of relief that he was actually free and able to do as he wish. However, every time he got caught you felt upset and angered that after all that work in trying to escape he let himself get caught. The third time he escaped was the most exciting because you knew that the movie was ending soon and you were hoping that he would finally be free and there would be a happy ending. The part when he stole the truck was kind of predictable because of the way the camera was shooting him going into the different trucks each time to get something for the “boss”. It was easy to tell that that was how he was going to escape but what surprised me and kind of humored me was that he took the keys to the other two trucks and stole the last truck. I thought that that part was well thought out and showed you that despite everything he had been through he still can think of clever ways to escape.
The part of the movie that I didn’t like was when he was put in “the box” because his mother had died. I thought that it wasn’t really necessary to punish him over something he had no control over. Also the boxing scene tended to last a lot longer than what some people were hoping for. Although it was symbolic in showing that Luke wouldn’t be broken by anybody, it could have got the same meaning across in a shorter amount of time. Overall the movie was good and had a nice symbolic meaning to it.

Okay, so I don't agree that it was interesting or entertaining but I do agree that the scene where he was digging the hole was strongly symbolic of the way the other men looked up to him and religiously symbolic as well. It was obviously a very important scene and made you feel extremely sympathetic for Luke. I also agree the boxing scene was really starting to bore me after a while because the rythm never ever changed. I know that they were trying to be symbolic but I got the point long before the scene ended.
ReplyDeleteOh and I hope you like my font for my blog. I tried to make it bigger. :)
I didn't like that the movie referenced him to God because to me he was nothing like God. I think that, in a way, it was almost mocking Christianity, but that's what I feel. But overall, there were a few scenes that I liked. Yeah, the ways he thought of to escape were very clever. I know! They shouldn't have punished him for his mother dying, that was definitely not needed.
ReplyDeletei liked the humor of the film too, but i still couldn't get interested. i understand how some people may enjoy it though, the message was good. i'd have to say my favorite part of the movie was looking at Paul Newman haha
ReplyDelete